Alma Station (Retired)
The retired Alma Station, located on the bank of the Mississippi River in Alma, Wis., first came online in 1947.
The first three units of the Alma Station ceased operations on Dec. 31, 2011. Dairyland then retired Alma Station units #4 and #5 in fall 2014.
In 2017, Dairyland’s Generation Engineering group oversaw the permanent removal of smaller outbuildings and conveyors, as well as the removal of underground coal tunnels, sealing of the cooling water intake structure and the removal of regulated materials. The last remaining section of Dairyland’s main Alma Station building was brought down on Oct. 17, 2017. Prior to the “tipping” of the building, columns were strategically cut to ensure a safe and designed collapse. The structural columns on the east side were triple cut and cables were attached. The center support columns were partially cut on the west side of the columns. The west support columns were the last to be cut just prior to tipping.
“When the cables on the east side were pulled, the support columns kicked out and the structure safely collapsed to the ground,” said Mike McCullick, Project Engineer III.
A time-lapse video was created during the demolition of the Alma Station (June - December 2017).
Following the demolition, the contractor began cutting and sorting the steel. The demolition materials and construction debris were salvaged or recycled to the greatest extent possible: Metals were sorted by size and type for recycling, while unpainted concrete and bricks were left onsite to be crushed into gravel for use on future Dairyland projects. The 700-foot tall stack was the last remaining part of the retired Alma Station and was demolished on Oct. 1, 2018, as part of the required decommissioning process. Plans are in place for the site to be rehabilitated and landscaped.